Friday, February 12, 2010

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

What up world!  For those of you reading, hopefully you’re reading this post in a place with better weather than where I’ve been for the past week.  Although considering how many feet of snow DC has gotten in the last 6 days, that probably would not be saying much.   
  
If you remember last week, I talked about a “huge snowstorm” that came through DC.  That storm had accumulated about six inches of snow that took the entire Saturday, January 30, for it to fall.  Last Friday, DC got hit with 6 inches of snow in just two hours, and since then we were hit with another two and a half feet of snow last weekend and another foot and a half on Tuesday and Wednesday.   This is one of the worst storms Washington has had in about 90 years or so, and this whole week I’ve been thinking to myself, “why couldn’t I have brought the beautiful San Diego weather with me?!” Seven days have now passed since the last time the federal government has been open, and I’m really starting to get cabin fever over here!  However, with the sun being out as I’m typing this and no more snow expected until a light snowfall on Monday, I’m pretty confident that the federal government will finally open up for the first time in a week tomorrow.  I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed for that one. 

Here's a picture of me walking through the worst of the snowstorm on Friday night.  It was actually quite a fun experience to walk through the snowstorm!    

Despite all of this, I did have somewhat of an eventful weekend.  On Friday, I trekked through what I thought would be a brief snowstorm to my cousin’s apartment in the heart of DC by foot and Metro, and little did I know I would be stuck there for a while due to this “snowpocalypse”.  The next day, my cousin and I participated in the biggest snowball fight I have ever seen in Dupont Circle. It was reported that at least 1,000 people participated in this epic battle.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me, so I can’t provide you any footage of my own.  But in my defense, I didn’t know that we were going to this snowball fight until after we started walking for about a mile or so!  At any rate, I’m really sorry that I can’t provide some personal footage of this fight, but from this point on, I’m definitely carrying my camera with me everywhere I go!  At any rate, here is a video that someone else got from this fight.  I tried looking for a video with me in it, but was sadly unsuccessful.    



On Sunday, my cousin and I watched the Super Bowl with some of his friends and had the fortune of watching the Saints win.  I’m really happy for the city of New Orleans that they got that championship, especially since the city had gone through so much in dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Since the Super Bowl, the last few days have been somewhat dull since I have been stuck in the confines of my apartment since I took that taxi back from my cousin’s apartment. 

A beautiful picture of the night sky immediately before kickoff of the Super Bowl  

Sorry for the brevity of this post, it’s just that not much has happened since it has snowed the past week!  By next week, I won’t be restricted to talking about snow and not working for several paragraphs, and I’ll have a lot more interesting events to talk about.  Until then, take care, and I hope you all enjoy the rest of your week.  Peace! 

4 comments:

  1. Weird world!
    With the winter Olympics going on in Vancouver, we are only getting rain even on the ski slopes! and over there you guys are having the snow of the century.

    Anyways, enjoy the snow and rest of it and thanks for the post!

    Alireza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Cameron Jaan:
    it seems that God is blessing you with both your and our share of snow!!! we haven't seen any this winter!!!!
    take good Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao Cameron take this opporunity to leave in WDC with so much snow, don't think about S.Diego's weather, enjoy your time!
    I'm waiting to know the news from NESA Center, i'm very curious.
    Take you care.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cameron,
    Your ability to make the best of less than perfect situations will take you the farthest in life. The pictures you took were awesome; especially the evening shot of the snow covered street. It's as pretty as a post card. What kind of camera do you have? By the way we saw your big snowball fight on the national news, pretty cool...
    We have some very cool things already set for our trip in April and you're on every list to join us if you can. So with you as a guide we're sure to have a wonderful time.
    Stay well my friend.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete